The overlays that highlight 17th century London features are approximate and derived from:


Situated on the south bank of the River Thames in southeast London, Deptford was the location of the Deptford Dockyards, the first of the Royal Dockyards from the mid 16th to 19th century. Also home of the diarist John Evelyn in 1652.

13 Annotations

vincent  •  Link

Home to John Evelyn and his famous garden at Says-Courtt

vincent  •  Link


The East India Company was formed in 1600 and ran its first voyages to the far east from Deptford. The first Company fleet in l601 was commanded by Sir Thomas Lancaster, a Deptford dock owner. At first it borrowed facilities from the Royal Dockyard to lay its cannon and other stores on the wharf. In 1607 the Company leased the Stone Wharf at the end of Watergate Street in Deptford Strand from the Bridge House estate, and built a timber dock in Deptford the following year. The lease was extended in 1610. The Company was building ships at Deptford in 1609.

vincent  •  Link

Sketch map of Evelyn estate, Deptford, with annotations 1623 [copy] available at the library?
Copies of source materials held elsewhere
Public records
Hearth Tax returns for Deptford, Lee and Lewisham, 1664.
Deptford is located to the west of a creek where the River Ravensbourne enters the Thames. The Roman road from Dover to London forded the creek where Deptford Bridge is now located and a Saxon cemetery existed on the site of the Dover Castle public house, Deptford Broadway. At the beginning of the 16th century Deptford was only a small fishing village when Henry VIII established the Royal Naval Dockyard on a site to the west of Deptford Strand. This served as England's principal dockyard until Chatham took over in the late 17th century.

Hamish Gallie  •  Link

As a resident of the borough of Lewisham for five years now have had a chance to visit the site of the Deptford Victualling Yrds twice now. It is great that there are still the original storehouses left and the terrace and indeed the original gateway to the yard with original cobbled streets and oficers accomodation. Also the water stairs are still there with token foundry cannons nearby. Good views to the River and Greenwich in particular. Special site, recommend visit.

Log in to post an annotation.

If you don't have an account, then register here.


Chart showing the number of references in each month of the diary’s entries.