Daily entries from the 17th century London diary
The overlays that highlight 17th century London features are approximate and derived from:
Woolwich Dockyard Founded in 1512, followed by a ropeyard half a mile away in 1610, it was particularly important during the 16th and 17th centuries. But its value gradually declined owing to limited space, facilities and the silting of the Thames. By 1800 it was restricted to shipbuilding; fitting vessels built at Deptford or merchant yards; and refitting small ships from the Norehttp://www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk/chatham_d...
The Royal Dockyards of Deptford and Woolwicha little insight to the 17C dockyards athttp://www.nmm.ac.uk/site/request/setTemplate:s...As well as dry docks for building ships, and wet docks for fitting them out, all dockyards had a large mast pond where long lengths of timber (up to 35 metres long) were soaked before being used to build ships. The wood had to be well seasoned so that the planks would not split or shrink in the water. The earliest dry docks had a wall of mud blocking one end. When a ship was ready to be launched it took twenty men one month of digging to remove the wall so that the dock could fill with water. This performance was repeated for every launch. Launching the vessels became much easier after flood gates were built at one end of the dry dock in 1574.
Woolwich is a gritty, industrial town, the easternmost suburb of London on the south bank of the River Thames, about ten miles from the capital. The town has long had military associations, notably, in the past with the establishment of the Royal Dockyard in 1512, its prime purpose being to build the Great Harry, Henry VIII
working in the dock yardAPPRENTICESHIPS.Being an apprentice was by no means an easy trade to gain entrance to. In the 17th century sixteen was an advanced age at which to begin work, since the children of the poorer classes were expected to do something for themselves from the age of five.Then the apprentice had for seven years to give his earnings to his master that is until he was 23 Thus for an outsider the time and ........In 1664 the Navy Board issued an order that every apprentice was to be 16 years of age at the time of entry and was to serve seven years...
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~penney...thjeres more about conditions and perks [chips]
Blackheath, Greenwich Park and then Woolwich before 1786:http://www.motco.com/map/81001/SeriesSearchPlat...
Woolwich DockyardFrom Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
"Woolwich Dockyard was an English naval dockyard founded by King Henry VIII in 1512 to build his flagship Henri Grace a Dieu (Great Harry), the largest ship of its day.
"Like its counterpart at Deptford, it was probably chosen for its position - on the south bank of the tidal River Thames conveniently close to Henry's palace at Greenwich.
"Its facilities ultimately included two large dry docks, a substantial basin (now used by local anglers), numerous storehouses, a gatehouse and clockhouse, gun bastions, and, in later years, a large metal-working factory used to produce anchors and other iron items used in ship-building."http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woolwich_Dockyard
WoolwichFrom Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"Woolwich...is a town in south-east London, England in the London Borough of Greenwich, on the south side of the River Thames, [...]"Its history is strongly associated with Britain's military past. It was home to the Woolwich Dockyard (founded in 1512), the Royal Arsenal (dating back to 1671), the Royal Military Academy (1741) and the Royal Horse Artillery (1793); it still retains an army base and the Royal Artillery Museum. [...] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woolwich
"A view of His Majesty's Dock Yard at Woolwich, by John Clevely the Younger"http://www.portcities.org.uk/london/server/show...
"The Royal Dockyard expanded westwards as far as Bowater Road. To the east its limit was marked by the Mast Pond - now under the Ferry truck park. Shallow water and a lack of room to expand caused Woolwich to be overtaken by the Dockyards at Portsmouth, Plymouth and Chatham during the Napoleonic wars. This period, too, marked the closure of the Royal Ropeyard at Woolwich. The ropeyard was established from around 1573 to supply the whole of the Royal Navy. Until around 1750 it employed over 400 people. Woolwich ropeyard was one of the greatest rope manufactories in the world at the time, and would have been as significant as later roperies at Chatham, Portsmouth and Plymouth."
Here is a map of the Woolich Dockyard, 1748.
"The resources needed to build a ship of the line were staggering; in addition to up to 2,000 mature trees, each ship required between 30 and 40 miles of rope, which needed renewing every 2 or 3 years. The Woolwich Ropeyard, eventually 1,080' long, produced standard 100 fathom (600 foot) lengths of rope. Now largely lying under Beresford Street, it stretched from the Arsenal Gatehouse to Riverside House." http://www.royal-arsenal.com/warship.html
Log in to post an annotation.
If you don't have an account, then register here.
See all places in this category on a map