This text was copied from Wikipedia on 16 August 2017 at 3:23AM.
|Office of the Treasurer of the Navy|
Ensign of the Royal Navy
|Department of the Admiralty|
|Member of||Navy Board (1546-1832)|
|Reports to||First lord of the Admiralty|
|Nominator||First lord of the Admiralty|
Subject to formal approval by the King-in-Council
|Term length||Not fixed (typically 3–7 years)|
|Inaugural holder||Robert Legge|
The Treasurer of the Navy  originally called Treasurer of Marine Causes  was a civilian officer of the Royal Navy, he was one of the Principle Commissioners of the Navy Board responsible for Naval Finance  from 1546 to 1832.
Although a member of the board his office was semi-autonomous. The office-holder was responsible for the direction and control of Naval Finance of the Royal Navy. The office was a political appointment, and frequently was held by up-and-coming young politicians who would later go on to hold more important positions. Before 1832 all accounts were dealt with by a number of different offices and officials. The Treasurer of the Navy originated during the reign of Henry VIII. He was the senior member of the Navy Board responsible for all Navy accounts, he gradually withdrew during the seventeenth century from the Board's day-to-day affairs and his office, and the Navy Pay Office, came to be regarded as entirely separate from the Navy Office. The Treasurer of the Navy survived the re-organisational changes of 1832, but his office was abolished in 1835 when his duties were transferred to the Paymaster General's' Office.
Departments and offices under Treasurer
- Mackenzie, Sir George (1 January 1821). "The Royal naval and military calendar: and national record for 1821". Google Books. Printed for the author. Retrieved 28 February 2017.
- Knighton, C. S.; Loades, David (2016). Elizabethan Naval Administration. Routledge. p. 5. ISBN 9781317145035.
- Archives, The National. "Navy Board: Navy Pay Office: Treasurer's Out-Letters". discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk. National Archives, 1807-1830, ADM 15. Retrieved 28 February 2017.
- Sainty, J.C. "Navy Treasurer c. 1546-1836 Institute of Historical Research". www.history.ac.uk. University of London, January 2003.
- Bennell, John (2004). "Gonson, William (d. 1544)". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (online ed.). Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/47400. (Subscription or UK public library membership required.)
- "Greville, Fulke (GRVL568F)". A Cambridge Alumni Database. University of Cambridge.
- Sainty, J. C. (2003), A provisional list: Navy Treasurer c. 1546-1836, The Institute of Historical Research (IHR), School of Advanced Study at the University of London