"Turner, Ald. Sir William, kt 1662 (1615-93). Younger brother of John, the lawyer. A draper (both Pepys and Tom Pepys had accounts with him), Master of the Merchant Taylor's Company 1661-2, 1684-5; prominent in the R. Africa and E. India Companies. Sheriff 1662-3: Lord Mayor 1668-9; M.P. for the city1690-3. In 1668 he claimed and was awarded £400 from the King -- a gift traditionally made to bachelor Lord Mayors -- and gave it towards the rebuilding of Guildhall. A Puritan, who headed each page of his accounts *Laus Deo*, he founded a hospital and free school at Kirkleatham, Yorks., in 1676." L&M Companion, 460.
Sir William Turner (12 September 1615 – 9 February 1693) was an English Sheriff, Lord Mayor and M.P. of London.
He served as the president of the Bethlehem and Bridewell Hospitals from 1669 until his death. He was a director of the East India Company for several years (1670–1, 1684–5, 1687–8, 1690–1).
He devoted much of his fortune to establishing a hospital in his home village of Kirkleatham in 1676, known as Sir William Turner's Hospital (or Almshouses) and now an independent retirement home. After being largely rebuilt in 1742 it has been occupied ever since. The attached chapel contains his death mask.
Sir William Turner was a relative by marriage of the Pepys family, being the brother of John Turner, Jane's husband. The proof is that both were sons of John and Elizabeth (nee Colthurst) Turner, of Kirkleatham in Cleveland, North Yorkshire.
Sir William died childless, and the heir to his great loot was Cholmley Turner, Jane Turner's grandson via her son Charles, whose wife was Margaret, daughter of Sir William Cholmley Bt., of Whitby, Yorkshire.
Chart showing the number of references in each month of the diary’s entries.