Daily entries from the 17th century London diary
The overlays that highlight 17th century London features are approximate and derived from:
From L&M CompanionA thriving Middlesex village on the road north from the city--the Great North Road--and a favourite resort of Londoners. The bulk of its houses lay between 2 and 3 miles from the Standard on Cornhill, but the parish included straggling clumps of dwellings all the way to its end on the slope of Highgate Hill, and included Newington Green, Kingsland (where Pepys had been put out to nurse as a baby), Stroud Green and Tollington--altogether, in 1664, some 460 houses. Traversed by the New River, it was famous for its pastures, dairies and refreshment houses, as well as for the ponds on which Londoners shot duck. Pepys knew the district well as a boy, when he played with his bow and arrows in the fields and had cakes and ale with his father at the King's Head. Towards the end of the diary period he was in the habit of taking his wife there for an evening airing by coach--'our Grand Tour' (vii.126).
Famous connections: Thomas paine and Charles for starters http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/The%2...Click the link for more information. and it is believed that he wrote passages of the Rights of Man Thomas Paine's Declaration of the Rights of Man :
Errata Charles = Charles Dickens of Oliver and other famous stories.
The Angel at Islington on the monopoly board? Well it gets rid of one of the music/poker annotations.
Around the year 1000 it was Gislandune.(Probably 'Gisla's hill,' Gisla being an Old English name.)
Islington (from Ackroyd, London: The Biography, pp 520-21)
The Romans fought their battles there against Boudicca; there is evidence of a Roman encampment at Barnsbury, and the area of King's Cross was once known as Battle Bridge. A now forgotten track, Hagbush Lane, exists beneath the Liverpool Road. An ancient British settlement lies to the immediate south-east of Islington Green. The Saxon King Aethelbert granted Islington to the canons of St Paul's (hence the name Canonbury), and it appears in the Domesday Book that the ecclesiastical authorities owned approximately five hundred acres of territory. Fitz-Stephen depicts the area as "fields for pasture and open meadows, very pleasant, into which the river waters do flow, and mills are turned about with a delightful noise ... beyond them an immense forests extends itself, beautified with woods and groves, and full of the lairs and coverts of wild beasts ... and game, stags, bucks, bears and wild bulls." ...
(F)or some thousand years it was a haven of relaxation and entertainment for those ordinarily trapped within the city. In the time of Henry II (reigned 1154-89) "citizens played ball, exercised on horseback and took delight in birds, such as sparrow hawks, goss hawks, and in dogs for following the sports of the fields of Iseldon." In the sixteenth century Stow described Islington as a place of "fields commodius for the citizens therein to walke, shoote and otherwise to recreate and refresh their dulled spirits in the sweete and wholesome ayre." Immediately south of the Angel, fields were set aside for traget practice; on eighteenth century maps almost two hundred "marks" can be discerned, with the most proficient archers being awarded titles such as the "Marquis of Islington," the "Marquess of Clerkenwill" and the "Earl of Pancridge."
It was in Islington that Sir Walter Raleigh first smoked tobacco; the site of his house later became an inn for the citizens seeking refreshment of another kind. Islington was famous for its hostelries, among them the Three Hats, Copenhagen House, White Conduit House and the Angel itself, which gave its salubrious name to an entire district. Here also were Sadler's Wells, Islington Spa, the New Wells, the Pantheon in Spa Fields, the English Grotto in Rosoman Street, the London Spa, Merlin's Cave, Hockley-in-the-Hole, Bagnigge Wells, St. Chad's Well in Gray's Inn Road and Penny's Folly on the Pentonville Road.
Wencaslas Hollar (Czech/British, 1607-1677)
View of London from the Islington spa, two men seated seen from behind in the foreground at right, looking at view of London, with St Paul's seen in distance, pinnacled tower at right and three towers at left; three men practising archery at left. Etching, 1665http://www.britishmuseum.org/research/search_th...
Islington was, in time, incorporated into Londonhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islington
Upper Street, Islington (destination for Pepys on May 12th 1661), begins where St John's Street meets Goswell Road. This would be roughly under the 'N' of 'London' on the scroll in "Newcourt's An Exact Delineation of the Cities of London... Drawn in 1658, and published in facsimile by Edward Stanford 1863" (www.oldlondonmaps.com/newcourtpages/newcourtmai...)
Islington, written vertically, is in the n.e. of this Cary map. http://www.motco.com/map/81001/SeriesSearchPlat...
Log in to post an annotation.
If you don't have an account, then register here.
See all places in this category on a map