Annotations and comments

Bill has posted 2444 annotations/comments since 9 March 2013.

The most recent…


Comments

About Touse

Bill  •  Link

TOUZE or TOUZLE, To rumple, tumble, pull about, throw down, to be rude, or over familiar with a Woman.
---A new general English dictionary. T. Dyche, 1735.

About Tabby

Bill  •  Link

TABBYING, the passing a silk or stuff under a calender, the rolls of which are made of iron or copper, variously engraven, which bearing unequally on the stuff renders the surface thereof unequal, so as to reflect the rays of light differently, making the representation of waves thereon.
---A New and Complete Dictionary of Arts and Sciences. 1764.

About Monday 24 August 1663

Bill  •  Link

"There come to him this morning his prints of the river Tagus and the City of Lisbon, which he measured with his own hand, and printed by command of the King."

As annotated by Michael Robinson, this was a print by "Dirk Stoop (commemorating the Catherine – Charles marriage)"

Here is a Dirk Stoop print of Lisbon dedicated to Catherine of Braganza, dated 1662, and includes a guide to more prints in the series: http://www.britishmuseum.org/research/collectio...

About Cucumbers

Bill  •  Link

Is your cucumber bitter? Throw it away. Are there briars in your path? Turn aside. That is enough. Do not go on and say, 'Why were things of this sort ever brought into this world?'
---Meditations. Marcus Aurelius.

About Popinjay Alley

Bill  •  Link

On TerryF's map above, Popping's Alley is the second thoroughfare on the north side of Fleet Street from the Fleet Bridge.

About Popinjay Alley

Bill  •  Link

Now Poppin's Court, the first thoroughfare (under an archway) on the north side of Fleet Street from Ludgate Circus. Hatton (1708) calls it Poppin's Alley, and on Strype's map (1720) it appears as Popinjay Court.
---Wheatley, 1893.

Dodsley, 1761, mentions a Cockpit Alley leading out of it, and the turning next to it is still called Racket Court. It appears to have been a neighbourhood devoted to manly sports; but recently a restaurant called "The Popinjay" has been built at the corner of the court, and a legend inscribed on the front which asserts that on the site stood the inn of a religious fraternity whose crest was the popinjay. The north end of Poppin's Court was cut off in 1870 in forming the new street from Holborn Circus to Ludgate Circus.
---London, Past and Present. H.B. Wheatley, 1891.

About Lion Quay

Bill  •  Link

Lion Key, Lower Thames Street.
Next to this [Billingsgate] is Sommer's Key, which took that name of one Sommer dwelling there, as did Lion Key of one Lion, owner thereof, and since of the sign of a Lion.
--Stow, p. 78.

When the Duchess of Suffolk escaped from Bishop Gardiner's persecution she, after much difficulty, took boat from Lion Key—

The Duchess of Suffolk seeing this,
Whose life likewise the tyrant sought
...
For fear of death was fain to fly,
And leave her house most secretly.
--Duchess of Suffolk's Calamity.

Okey, the regicide, was a chandler at this quay. When James, Duke of York (James II.), on the night of April 20, 1648, made his escape from St. James's Palace, he put on women's clothes in the house of one Loe, a surgeon, near London Bridge; and, attended by Bamfield and his footman, went "to Lyon Key, where there waited a barge of four oars, into which they entered, and so went down the river, the tide serving for the purpose."
---London, Past and Present. H.B. Wheatley, 1891.

About Tuesday 11 August 1663

Bill  •  Link

“This day I am told that my Lord Bristoll hath warrants issued out against him, to have carried him to the Tower”

George Digby, second Earl of Bristol, was very vindictive against Clarendon, and when he failed in his attack on that minister Charles II. was very angry, and Bristol had to retire from Court and remain in concealment for a time. The Proclamation was dated August 25th, 1663. A copy of it is in the British Museum.
---Wheatley, 1893.