New Palace Yard was immediately to the north of Westminster Hall: http://www.pepysdiary.com/encyclopedia/128/
Old Palace Yard was to the south of the Hall. Latham & Matthews assume that when Pepys was ambiguous and referred to merely "Palace Yard" or "Palace," he's referring to New Palace Yard.
Vincent Bell • Link
However the world's first automatic traffic lights could be seen in Princes Square, Wolverhampton in 1927.
Simon • Link
The Crown was almost certainly in Old Palace Yard - it is refered to in a trial report of the theft of a silver tankard in 1683
About the New Palace Yard
Map showing the New Palace Yard - lower center
A print of "New Palace Yard, Westminster Hall As they appear'd in the Year 1647" by Wenceslaus Hollar is available at: http://www.parliament.uk/about/living-heritage/...
Chart showing the number of references in each month of the diary’s entries.