Daily entries from the 17th century London diary
The overlays that highlight 17th century London features are approximate and derived from:
Pepys either mis-spelt the name, or it was spelt this way in his time. Today it is "Salisbury Court."
'London Street Names' by Gillian Bebbington (1972) reveals that, 'Salisbury Court and Square mark the site of the medieval palace of the Bishops of Salisbury, where they stayed when summoned to London to attend Parliament, or on other business. Salisbury Court was its main carriage entrance, and the Square was the central courtyard. In 1564 the Bishop sold the house to Sir Richard Sackville, father of Sir Thomas Sackville, Earl of Dorset (who wrote 'Gorboduc', the first English tragedy in blank verse): hence Dorset Buildings and Rise leading out of the Square. The house was destroyed in the Great Fire of 1666.'
Here’s the relevant section of the invaluable 1764 map of London which Susanna discovered online: http://www.motco.com/Map/81002/SeriesSearchPlat...
According to this amateur website there is a Blue Plaque commemorating Samuel Pepys in this street. (Blue Plaques can be found throughout London, highlighting locations linked to famous people.)
http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/Cabana/9424... Court EC4
map of Salisbury Court: 1666 and 1676
Salisbury Court, details down to each piece of property. 1676http://www.british-history.ac.uk/lmap.asp?compi...
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/mapimage.aspx?...1666 edge if fire zone.
Depicted on this 1658 map.http://www.oldlondonmaps.com/newcourtpages/newc...
Log in to post an annotation.
If you don't have an account, then register here.
See all places in this category on a map