You may have noticed that some punctuation characters in annotations are appearing strangely on the site recently. This happened since I upgraded Movable Type, the software used to run most of the site.

Since the “upgrade” it seemed that if a curly quote, or other unusual character, is used in an annotation it appeared as a question mark (?) when Previewing, and as a muddle of strange characters when the annotation was Posted. I was baffled at first, but after spending more time investigating I’ve realised the cause of the problem and have hopefully fixed it.

This won’t fix problems in annotations posted over the past couple of weeks, but I’m going to look back through them and try and fix some. Do let me know if you notice the problem recurring in new annotations. Apologies for the inconvenience.

(For the technically-minded, the problem was caused by the site’s pages using “iso-8859-1” rather than “utf-8”. Although I’ve no idea why this was no problem before upgrading to Movable Type 3.2.)


Will  •  Link

While In Northern Ireland on a trip to Southern Ireland I found a town marker in (London)Derry, the last of the many walled cities. the marker is constantly defaced by the folk who believe London should not be part of the city name. So, everywhere, you will finde evidence of paint splotches.

And the more interesting part to me was the parsing of the
on the public sign of the historical past. Depending on space, that, apparently is how theprinter printed.

And now to casually find your site and then to find it will soon die is much like being a tourist in Ireland. "Look out for the flying splotches~!"

Good Luck in the next. -=w=-

Log in to post a comment.

If you don't have an account, then register here.