The overlays that highlight 17th century London features are approximate and derived from Wenceslaus Hollar’s maps:

Open location in Google Maps: 51.512873, -0.104700

5 Annotations

First Reading

Pauline  •  Link

Good ol'

BRIDEWELL, a district of London between Fleet Street and the Thames, so called from the well of St Bride or St Bridget close by. From William the Conqueror's time, a castle or Norman tower, long the occasional residence of the kings of .England, stood there by the Fleet ditch. Henry VIII., Stow says, built there " a stately and beautiful house," specially for the housing of the emperor Charles V. and his suite in 1525. During the hearing of the divorce suit by the Cardinals at Blackfriars, Henry and Catharine of Aragon lived there. In 1553 Edward VI. made it over to the city as a penitentiary, a house of correction for vagabonds and loose women; and it was formally taken possession of by the lord mayor and corporation in 1555. The greater part of the building was destroyed in the Great Fire of 1666.

Second Reading

Bill  •  Link

Bridewell. A well so called, between Fleet-street and the Thames, dedicated to St. Bride, and lending its name to a palace, a parish, a parish-church, and a House of Correction.
---Handbook of London: past and present. P. Cunningham, 1849.

Third Reading

San Diego Sarah  •  Link

L&M: BRIDEWELL, a precinct and house of correction on the west bank of the Fleet river (now New Bridge Street) opposite Blackfriars, to which it was attached by a gallery over the river. The precinct, running south Bride Lane to the Thames, and west from the Fleet to approx. Water Lane, was extra-parochial and densely inhabited.
The house built there by Henry VIII was presented in 1555 by Edward VI to the corporation of London as a workhouse for the poor and a house of correction for the idle; and it was stil used as such in the 1660s. It was burned in the Great Fire of 1666 and rebuilt. It was sold in 1863. Bridewell Place, Tudor Street and other streets now cover the area. - R

San Diego Sarah  •  Link

The Bridewell Palace/Prison was modified from the Whitefriars Priory, and was enormous. Therefore the precincts would be called Whitefriars -- just as Westminster includes the area around the Houses of Parliament, and Pepys lived at the Tower (not IN the Tower).

The precinct included:
Whitefriars steps -- Whitefriars Stairs is located [a]t the south end of Waterman’s Lane on the Thames, west of Whitefriars Dock (Harben 626). The site became known as such by 1666 (Carlin and Belcher 98); the site [is] now covered by the Victoria Embankment (Harben 626).

St. Bride's Church…

The Salisbury Court Theater…

Salisbury Court -- where Pepys was born…

Dorset House -- also burned in the Great Fire…

For a great read on the history of the Whitefriars area, see
British History Online:…
Old and New London: Volume 1.
Originally published by Cassell, Petter & Galpin, London, 1878.

Log in to post an annotation.

If you don't have an account, then register here.


Chart showing the number of references in each month of the diary’s entries.


  • Jun


  • Jun