The overlays that highlight 17th century London features are approximate and derived from Wenceslaus Hollar’s maps:
Open location in Google Maps: 51.545786, -0.055418
Adam Dant has created a map of Hackney which shows where interesting historical sites are located. The map goes on sale in June 2018. However, a free version is available here, along with a list of many buildings Pepys' followers will recognize:
Adam Dant's "Hackney Treasure Map" shows:
Prince Rupert’s Mill. Prince Rupert’s metal secret died with him – it was a composition from which indestructible cannons were cast and bored.
Temple Mills. Once belonging to the Knights Templars, these mills were used for grinding points on pins and needles, sent on to Worcestershire to receive eyes.
Beresford’s White House. Occasional home to highwayman Dick Turpin, attached to the house was a fishery, offering sport for a shilling.
Roman Burial Ground. Discovered under Hackney Marsh, part of the Roman stone causeway to Essex, and a marble sarcophagus at Brooksby’s Walk.
Lord Zouch’s House. A peer judge to Mary Queen of Scots, Edward, Lord Zouch conducted experimental gardening.
Sutton House. Known as “Bryck House,” was built for Henry VIII’s courtier Ralph Sadleir, who sold it to cloth merchant John Machell.
The Black & White House. Home of Robert Vyner, drinking pal of Charles II, AKA “Bohemia Place” from being the residence of the Queen of Bohemia.
Barber’s Barn. Home of the low-born John Okey, sixth signatory of Charles I’s death warrant.
St. John’s Place/Beaulieu. Said to have been the priory of St. John, it later acquired the name “Shoreditch Place” for Jane Shore, mistress to Edward IV.
Brook House. Given by Edward VI to the Earl of Pembroke, the house passed to the Earl of Warwick then to Dr. Monro as a ‘recepiticle for insane persons.’
Shacklewell House. The ancient seat of the Herons, and residence of Cecilia, Thomas More’s daughter, later home of regicide Owen Rowe.
Abney House. Built for Thomas Gunstone to hymn writer & divine Isaac Watts’ plans.
Brownswood House. The Hornsey Wood Tavern incorporates old Copthall and the Manor House of Brownswood.
Newington Green Manor. A home to dissenters in the 17th century.
Palatine House. Built to house Protestant refugees from the Rhine Palatinate, later used as a retreat by John Wesley.
Whitmore House. A moated house adapted by London haberdasher Sir William Whitmore for his son Sir George.
Baumes House. Built by two Spanish merchants in 1540, it became known as Sir George Whitmore’s house and in 1691 hosted King William.
Alderman John Brown’s House. Home of the serjeant, painter to Henry VIII.
Nag’s Head. A coaching inn and haunt of robber Dick Turpin.
The Theatre. Home of Shakespeare & Burbage’s Lord Chamberlain’s New Acting Troupe. The timber was dismantled and used to construct the Globe.
Holywell Mount. Near the priory of St. John the Baptist, plague burials are said to take place here.
The Rectory, Hackney. Site of the Manor of Grumbolds and home of John & Jane Daniel, accused of blackmailing the Countess of Essex.
Geffrye Almshouses. Paid for by Sir Robert Geffrye in his will of 1703 which declared his remaining fortune to the Ironmongers’ Company for provision of almshouses.
Chart showing the number of references in each month of the diary’s entries.