The overlays that highlight 17th century London features are approximate and derived from Wenceslaus Hollar’s maps:

Open location in Google Maps: 36.753889, 3.058889

6 Annotations

First Reading

jamie yeager  •  Link

alternative form of "algiers"

vicenzo  •  Link

Petition a foot for the rescue of poor English enslaved:
Captives at Algiers, &c.
Ordered, That all such Members of this House as serve for Devonshire and Cornewall, be added to the Committee to which the Petition of the poor Captives of Algiers is referred; and have Voices at that Committee so far only as concerns the said Captives

From: British History Online
Source: House of Commons Journal Volume 8: 15 February 1662. Journal of the House of Commons: volume 8, (1802).
Date: 08/03/2005

Terry F  •  Link

The Mole of Argier was a main concern of the Diary, beginning 1 February 1661/62…

Pedro. on Wed 2 Feb 2005, 9:20 am | Link
“mole of Argier”

The inner harbour was begun in 1518 by Khair-ad-Din Barbarossa (see History, below), who, to accommodate his pirate vessels, caused the island on which was Fort Penon to be connected with the mainland by a mole. The lighthouse which occupies the site of Fort Penon was built in 1544.……

Second Reading

San Diego Sarah  •  Link

"Some inhabitants of Algiers began making piratical attacks on Spanish seaborne commerce, and in response Spain in 1514 fortified the offshore island of Peñon in the Bay of Algiers. The emir of Algiers appealed to two Ottoman Turkish corsairs to expel the Spaniards from the Peñon, and one of the corsairs, Barbarossa (Khayr al-Dīn), seized Algiers and expelled the Spaniards in 1529. Algiers was placed under the authority of the Ottoman sultan, although in practice it remained largely autonomous.
"Barbarossa’s efforts turned Algiers into the major base of the Barbary pirates for the next 300 years.
"The European powers made repeated vain attempts to quell the pirates, including naval expeditions by the Holy Roman emperor Charles V in 1541 and by the British, Dutch, and Americans in the early 19th century.
"Piracy based in Algiers continued, though much weakened, until the French captured the city in 1830."…

Log in to post an annotation.

If you don't have an account, then register here.


Chart showing the number of references in each month of the diary’s entries.