Daily entries from the 17th century London diary
The overlays that highlight 17th century London features are approximate and derived from:
The Half Moon was a very common name, and there is a dispute as to this particular one's location.
In his book "Taverns and Tokens of Pepys' London" (published in 1976) George Berry identifies it as being the Half Moon in Cheapside, on the north side next to Gutter Lane. That Half Moon burned down in the Great Fire of 1666, but was soon rebuilt, and a lot of the City Guilds held their ceremonial dinners there. A century later John Wilkes, the radical politician and harasser of the Government, was a regular visitor. The Half Moon receives a special mention in his diary for 29 May 1771 - can anyone provide a link?
However, Latham and Matthews believe this Half Moon to be a large tavern that was on the north side of the Strand and on the south-west corner of Bedford (later Half Moon) Street. This Half Moon was kept from 1642 to 1662 by John Doe, vintner and churchwarden. In 1664 he employed 5 male and 3 female servants. Henry Henderson took over in 1664.
Will this do?
"Half-moon tavern, noted as the place of resort of the most celebrated wits of the sixteenth century..."Thomas Allen, The History and Antiquities of London, Westminster, Southwark and Parts Adjacent: Volume 3http://nils.lib.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/image?lookup=...
ALDERSGATE STREET Nearly opposite Lauderdale House, which was north of Shaftesbury House, stood in 1830 the "Half-moon Tavern," a place of resort for the wits of Charles II.'s time, Wycherley and Congreve being among the habitués. The fireplaces were ornamented with curious grotesque carvings in wood.
Log in to post an annotation.
If you don't have an account, then register here.
See all places in this category on a map