Daily entries from the 17th century London diary
The overlays that highlight 17th century London features are approximate and derived from:
The map link above is approximate. This was a tavern on New Palace Yard (http://www.pepysdiary.com/encyclopedia/230/ ), Westminster (from Latham's Companion to the Diary).
The Dog stood next to the Mitre on King Street and New Palace Yard near Union Street, and became a favourite meeting-place in the 1650s for Royalists - later it was mentioned by Samuel Pepys in his Diary on at least 16 occasions.
However, it had become popular long before Pepys' time, and was frequently visited by the playwright Ben Jonson (and possibly by William Shakespeare since he was one of Ben Jonson's great friends). Ben Jonson certainly brought the Royalist poet William Herrick here for a farewell drink when Jonson left London in 1629: "Ah Ben!/Say how or when/Shall we thy guests/Meet at those lyric feasts/Made at the Sun,/The Dog, the Triple Tun?..."
In 1797 the Dog was renamed the Horn and Feathers but was badly damaged by fire (a normal occurrence at that time) and was finally demolished in 1807 as part of improvements to the area.
Log in to post an annotation.
If you don't have an account, then register here.
See all places in this category on a map