The overlays that highlight 17th century London features are approximate and derived from Wenceslaus Hollar’s maps:
Open location in Google Maps: 51.467586, -0.361799
Hounslow no longer exists as Pepys would have known it, as it's next to Heathrow airport, but there are echoes. Back then:
By 1635 Hounslow had already acquired significance as a coaching halt, conveniently located just before the Bath and Staines roads diverged across Hounslow Heath. Although the village barely extended beyond the High Street, there were over 100 residents and at least five inns, some of which had been in existence for more than a century. The separate village of Lampton lay to the north.
In the late 13th century a bridge was built across the River Brent, and Brentford grew as a market town in rural Middlesex.
During the English Civil Wars, Chiswick (on the present border between Ealing and Hounslow) was the site of the Battle of Turnham Green, which was fought at Brentford, Turnham Green, and Acton in 1642; as a result of the battle, the Parliamentarians blocked the advance of King Charles into London.
Hounslow Heath was a vast woodland extending over thousands of acres; the area was notorious for attacks by highwaymen.
Nearby estates include Syon House (1547–52), Boston Manor House (1623), and Osterley Park House (16th century) all of which are set in pleasant landscaped parkland. The present Chiswick House was built in Palladian-style by Richard Boyle, 3rd Earl of Burlington. Syon House was the home of the dukes of Northumberland. The Gresham family had owned Osterley Park House in Isleworth, and the gardens are now a sizable public park. Other mansions include Gunnersbury Park Estate and Hogarth’s House (c. 1700), which displays prints of William Hogarth’s work.
Chart showing the number of references in each month of the diary’s entries.