The overlays that highlight 17th century London features are approximate and derived from Wenceslaus Hollar’s maps:

Open location in Google Maps: 51.118984, 0.959761

1 Annotation

Second Reading

San Diego Sarah  •  Link

Scott's Hall was the home of the ancient Scott family of Kent. During the Diary the following people lived there:

Catherine Goring Scott lived here during the Diary years,…

Her husband, Sir Edward Scott, Knight of the Bath…

Lady Caroline Carteret Scott…

Sir Thomas Scott, her husband…

Scot's Hall (or Scott's Hall) was a country house in Smeeth, between Ashford and Folkestone in southeast England. It was the property of a gentry family, the Scotts. The first known resident was Sir John Scott (born 1436), who married Caroline Carter.

Samuel Pepys was a regular visitor in the 17th century: the contemporary owner, Sir Thomas Scott, married Caroline Carteret, daughter of Pepys' friend and colleague, Sir George Carteret. With his keen nose for gossip, Pepys noted that Thomas' right to inherit the estate was debatable: his parents were separated, and his father for a time refused to acknowledge any of his wife's children, although he ultimately did acknowledge Thomas as his son.

Highlights from…

Log in to post an annotation.

If you don't have an account, then register here.


Chart showing the number of references in each month of the diary’s entries.