A parish of London east of the Tower of London.
The overlays that highlight 17th century London features are approximate and derived from Wenceslaus Hollar’s maps:
Open location in Google Maps: 51.507140, -0.072248
St. Katherine's by the Tower parish is in the lower right-hand corner of this segment of the 1746 map and extends into the segment east of it. http://www.motco.com/map/81002/SeriesSearchPlates…
There has been a dock to the east of the Tower of London for about 1,000 years. The area had a strong community, with a church (St. Katharine's By The Tower), a hospital established by Queen Matilda (wife of King Stephen) in 1148, and a school. There was employment connected to river activities, housing was dense and the area thrived through the C17th. Traffic and trade on the river continued to grow, so more people continued to moved into the area.
Chart showing the number of references in each month of the diary’s entries.