The overlays that highlight 17th century London features are approximate and derived from Wenceslaus Hollar’s maps:
Open location in Google Maps: 51.351213, -0.252820
Ewell village is on the spring line between the chalk of the North Downs and London Clay, and there are springs which form the source of the Hogsmill River. It is now part of the Borough of Epsom and Ewell, in the northeast quarter of Surrey, 10 miles from Greater London.
Stone Age, Bronze Age and Iron Age settlement have been found around Ewell on Stane Street, the Roman road from London to Chichester.
Ewell is recorded in the 1086 Domesday Book as a royal manor, and it remained in the hands of the monarch until granted to Merton Priory in 1158.
In Tudor times, Ewell lost some of its land when Henry VIII had Nonsuch Palace built. Construction started in 1538 and was finished by the Earl of Arundel in 1556 and sold by his son-in-law, Lord Lumley, to Queen Elizabeth in 1592.
Nonsuch Palace declined in favor in the 17th century and was demolished between 1682 and 1688. Much of the surrounding parkland survives as Nonsuch Park.
Gleaned from a history of Ewell, which includes a picture of the current entrance to Nonsuch Park, https://www.exploringsurreyspast.…
Chart showing the number of references in each month of the diary’s entries.