Terry F • Link
The Barber-Surgeons Company
In 1540 the Surgeons Guild and the Company of Barbers were amalgamated by Act of Parliament which, among other privileges, allotted the new Company the bodies of four executed criminals for dissection every year. The functions of barbers and surgeons were separated and they were not permitted to undertake each other's work. The writ of the Company lay within a radius of one mile from the City and Westminster. At this time the Barber-Surgeons had the largest number of Freemen of any City Livery Company. This new organisation continued with some difficulty for a hundred years but it was seldom peaceful and there were always disputes between the factions, which had to be resolved. The Company continued this dual role into the seventeenth century. Until 1745 the Company also undertook the examination of Surgeons for the Navy.
The Hall of the Worshipful Company of Barbers, then Barber-Surgeons, later Barbers has, since the 14c been located in Monkwell Street, which may be found on the left side of this segment of the 1746 map.
Log in to post an annotation.
If you don't have an account, then register here.