14 Oct 2004, 9:04 p.m. - Pedro.

Seems to have changed names a few times see... http://www.historiclondonpubs.co.uk/bank.html

30 Nov 2004, 5:13 p.m. - Clement

This tudor tavern survived the great fire and still stands near Strand/Fleet street. It is likely The Fountain of Sam's reference. http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/Corporation/leisure_heritage/architectural_heritage/Buildingswithinthecity/prince_henrys.htm Not coincidentally it's also where the Samuel Pepys Club was formed in 1903.

17 Apr 2014, 11:13 p.m. - Terry Foreman

Fountain court is just west of The Savoy on the s. side of the Strand. Could that be where the tavern was? http://www.motco.com/Map/81002/SeriesSearchPlatesFullb.asp?mode=query&artist=384&other=314&x=11&y=11

18 Apr 2014, 1:30 a.m. - Terry Foreman

There's a Fountain Court off Middle Temple Lane s. of the transition to Fleet Street from the Strand. Check it out. http://www.motco.com/Map/81002/SeriesSearchPlatesFullb.asp?mode=query&artist=384&other=316&x=11&y=11

24 Sep 2014, 9:35 p.m. - Bill

Fountain Court, in the Strand, was so called from "the Fountain Tavern," at the corner... ---London, Past and Present. H.B. Wheatley, 1891.

10 Oct 2014, 8:35 p.m. - Bill

There is information about the Fountain Tavern in this in-depth entry: Samuel Pepys and Fleet Street http://www.pepysdiary.com/indepth/2005/09/21/samuel-pepys-and-fl/

8 Jun 2016, 5:41 p.m. - Seeker

It is unlikely that the Fountain Tavern visited by Pepys was the one in the Strand. It was more likely the older one in the Temple. The one in the Strand was new at that time (if it yet existed). It was where the Whig grandees (Churchill, Russell et al) plotted the Glorious Revolution (1688/9) that dethroned Charles II's brother, James II, and installed William III (of Orange) and their sister, Mary II, in his place.


Chart showing the number of references in each month of the diary’s entries.