This text was copied from Wikipedia on 14 March 2018 at 6:02AM.
Looking west towards St. Paul's Cathedral, close to the entrance to Cannon Street station (2006)
|Former name(s)||Candelwrichstrete Street, Candlewick Street, Canwick Street, Cannik Street, Cannin Street|
|Length||0.5 mi (0.8 km)|
|Location||London, United Kingdom|
|Nearest train station|| Cannon Street
|East end||King William Street|
|West end||St. Paul's Churchyard|
Cannon Street is a road in the City of London, the historic nucleus of London and its modern financial centre. It runs roughly parallel with the River Thames, about 250 metres (820 ft) north of it, in the south of the City.
The area around Cannon Street was initially the place of residence of the candle-makers. The name first appears as Candelwrichstrete (i.e. "Candlewright Street") in 1190. The name was shortened over 60 times as a result of the local cockney dialect and settled on Cannon Street in the 17th century, and is therefore not related to the firearms.
In the west, Cannon Street starts at St. Paul's Churchyard outside St Paul's Cathedral; running east it meets Queen Victoria Street near Mansion House Underground station, passing Cannon Street station, and finally meets King William Street and Gracechurch Street near Monument tube station.
In the late 19th century Cannon Street was occupied by large wholesale warehouses, especially of cotton goods and other fabrics.
The London Stone, from which it has been suggested distances were measured in Roman times, was originally situated in the middle of Cannon Street. It was later set into the wall of St. Swithin's Church, and now rests in a case to the side of the street.
The Roman governor's palace Praetorium may also have been located in this area, between the principal street of Roman Londinium and the River Thames. The remains of a very large high status building were found with a garden, water pools and several large halls, some of them decorated with mosaic floors. The plan of the building is only partly preserved, but was erected in the second part of the 1st century and was in use until around 300, rebuilt and renovated several times.
It is the street upon which singer Marc Almond suffered a near fatal crash in 2004 whilst riding pillion on a motorcycle.
Cannon Street also appeared in scene VI of William Shakespeare's Henry IV, Part 2.
Cannon Street station is served by the District and Circle lines on the London Underground and also by Southeastern mainline rail services. The street is also the location of Mansion House Underground station, also on the District and Circle lines.
- Loius Zettersten, "City Street Names", (1926)
- Smith, A., Dictionary of City of London Street Names, (1970), David & Charles
- Dickens, Charles, Jr. (1879). "Cannon Street". Dickens's Dictionary of London. Retrieved 2007-08-22. CS1 maint: Multiple names: authors list (link)
- City of London Corporation Queen Street public realm
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Cannon Street.|