Nix • Link
The Bear --
Established 1319, demolished 1761.
There is a lengthy passage on the Bear in chapter 1 of Henry Shelley's "Inns and Taverns of Old London" which is at Project Gutenberg:
It includes a discussion of the Bear's great antiquity (established by a man named Drinkwater!), a poem by John Suckling, several paragraphs on Samuel's visits, and an assignation between the Duke of Richmond and a royal mistress.
There is also a facsimile version of this chapter, including a picture of the Bear, at
This chapter also deals with the more famous Southward inn, Chaucer's Tabard.