Vicar of St Bride’s, Fleet Street, 1616-45, where he baptised Pepys.
13 Mar 2017, 4:25 a.m. - Terry Foreman
On the north wall of St Margaret's church Westminster is a damaged and blackened monument and bust to philanthropist and priest James Palmer. Attributed to sculptor Joshua Marshall it was originally a porphyry tablet with a coloured bust but was damaged by bombs in the Second World War and the inscription is no longer visible. This read:
"Here under is interred ye body of James Palmer batchelor in divinity borne in this parish of St Margts. in July 1585, a most pious & charitable man, exprest in severall places by many remarkable actions & pticularly to this parish in building fayer [fair] Almes Houses for 12 poore olde people with a Free School & a comodious habitation for the Schoolmr. & a convenient Chappell for prayers and preaching, where he constantly for divers yeares before his death once a week gave a comfortable sermon. He indowed ye same with a competent yearly revinew [revenue] of freehold estate comitted to ye trust & care of 10 considerable persons of ye place to be renewed as any dye; he cheerfully ended this life ye 5 of Jany. 1659. Erected at ye charge of Sir Wm.Playter, Knt. & Baronet" http://www.westminster-abbey.org/our-history/people/james-palmer
Chart showing the number of references in each month of the diary’s entries.