Located roughly where Buckingham Palace now stands, at what was then the western edge of London, it was bought by Baron Arlington in 1665. It burned down in 1674 and rebuilt.
The overlays that highlight 17th century London features are approximate and derived from Wenceslaus Hollar’s maps:
Open location in Google Maps: 51.501236, -0.142313
vincent • Link
Goring House marked the western edge of London in 1660 where Buckingham Palace now stands.
Possibly the first house erected within the site was that of a Sir William Blake, around 1624. The next owner was Lord Goring, who from 1633 extended Blake's house and developed much of today's garden, then known as Goring Great Garden. He did not, however, manage to obtain freehold interest in the mulberry garden. Unbeknown to Goring, in 1640 the document "failed to pass the Great Seal before King Charles I fled London, which it needed to do for legal execution". (It was this critical omission that helped the British royal family regain the freehold under King George III.)
Goring House was burnt in 1674, at which time Lord Arlington resided in it. The magnificence of Goring House is fully described by Evelyn, and its destruction by fire. The title of its owner is preserved in Arlington Street. "This was the town residence of George Lord Goring, Earl of Norwich, and of his son, the second peer, who died s. p. in 1670. The house occupied the site of the Mulberry Gardens, upon which Buckingham Palace now stands. It was let to Lord Arlington, by the second Earl of Norwich, and called after the tenant." —Cunningham's Hand-Book of London, p. 206, edit. 1850.
---Diary and correspondence of Samuel Pepys, the diary deciphered by J. Smith. 1854.
The house which forms the architectural core of the palace was built for the first Duke of Buckingham and Normanby in 1703 to the design of William Winde. The style chosen was of a large, three-floored central block with two smaller flanking service wings. Buckingham House was eventually sold by Buckingham's descendant, Sir Charles Sheffield, in 1761 to George III for £21,000. Sheffield's leasehold on the mulberry garden site, the freehold of which was still owned by the royal family, was due to expire in 1774. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckingham_Palace#B…
Buckingham House occupies the lower half of the 1746 map.
Arlington House is the last image revealed ...
Chart showing the number of references in each month of the diary’s entries.