The overlays that highlight 17th century London features are approximate and derived from Wenceslaus Hollar’s maps:

Open location in Google Maps: 51.509527, -0.091732


Dowgate was one of the many small docks on the north bank of the Thames. It is now just upstream of Cannon Street railway station.

4 Annotations

Second Reading

Third Reading

San Diego Sarah  •  Link


The name of this ward is derived from Dowgate, one of the 4 original gates of London. It is bounded on the south by the river Thames; on the east by Bridge and Candlewick-wards; on the north by Wallbrook-ward; and on the west by Vintry-ward.

The extent of this ward is from St. Martin's-lane in the east, to Cloak-lane in the west; and from thence both east and west to the river Thames, almost in direct lines; within which track are contained, on the south side of Thames street, Old Swan-lane, Cold-harbour, All hallows-lane, Campion-lane, Friars lane, Cosins-lane, Dowgate-dock, and the Still-yard; St. Laurence Pountney hill, almost as far as St. Laurence's churchyard; Suffolk-lane, as far as the passage into Bush-lane; Bush-lane, almost the whole; Dowgate-hill, as far as Tallowchandlers-hall northward; Chequer-yard; Elbow-lane as far as the church-yard, only the south east side of the way; and Cloak-lane, the south side, to 160 ft west of Dowgate-hill. The whole is divided into 8 precincts.

Thames street.
Thames street, which crosses this ward from east to west, is the general passage to the several lanes and alleys leading down to the wharfs; and is therefore continually crouded with carriages loaded with goods.

The most noted of these wharfs is the Stillyard or Steelyard, so often mentioned in the preceding history as being the place originally allotted to the Hanseatic merchants for storing up their wares; and where they had their hall, Guilda Aula Teutonicorum, for the transacting their affairs. It is now chiefly occupied by merchants who trade in iron; of which there are always large quantities in bars to be seen there.

Merchant Taylors school.
On the east side of Suffolk-lane stands a celebrated school, founded by the company of Merchant Taylors in 1561, during the mastership of Emanuel Lucar; Richard Hills, a former master of the company, having before given 500/. toward the purchase of an house, called the Manor of the Rose, belonging to the 1st Duke of Buckingham, for that purpose.
But that house was destroyed by the great fire in 1666, the present buildings were erected upon the same spot at the charge of the company. This school is a spacious building, supported on the east by many stone pillars, which form an handsome cloister, within which are apartments for the 3 ushers.
Adjoining to the school is a library, supported in like manner, by pillars of stone, and well furnished with books. South of the library is the chapel; and contiguous to these is a large house appropriated to the head master.

San Diego Sarah  •  Link


Tallow chandlers hall.
On the north west side of Dowgate hill stands the hall of the company of Tallow chandlers, which is a large handsome building with piazzas, adorned with columns and arches of the Tuscan order.

Skinners hall.
Below this hall on the same side is Skinners hall, a fine brick edifice compleatly finished; the hall is elegantly wainscotted with oak, and the parlour with cedar.

Innholders, Dyers, Joyners, Plumbers and Watermans halls.

Cold Harbour.
In Great Elbow lane near the church stands the hall of the Innholders company, which is a neat convenient building; and in Little Elbow-lane, is Dyers hall.

In Friars-lane is situated the hall of the company of Joyners; remarkable for a magnificent screen at the entering into the hall-room, having demi-savages, and a variety of other enrichments, carved in wainscot. The great parlour is wainscotted with cedar.

In a dirty place called Chequer yard, is Plumbers hall, a small neat building, which is lett out for a dancing school.

At the south west corner of Cold Harbour-lane is Watermans hall which fronts the Thames.

This Cold Harbour, or as it is now corruptly called Coal Harbour, was formerly a magnificent building named Cold Herbergh or Cold Inn, probably so termed from its cold situation near the Thames; and which was given by Henry IV to his son the prince of Wales.

San Diego Sarah  •  Link


Allhallows the Great.
The only parish church in this ward is that of All hallows the Great, situated on the south side of Thames-street, between All hallows-lane, and Hay wharf lane. It was antiently called All hallows the More, and All hallows ad Fœnum, in the Ropery, from its vicinity to a hay wharf, and situation among Rope-makers; and was founded by the noble family of the Despencers, who presented thereunto in the year 1361: from whom it passed with the heiress to the earl of Warwick and Salisbury; and at last to the crown.

Henry VIII exchanged this church with Thomas archbishop of Canterbury, in 1546; in whose successors it still continues, and is one of the 13 peculiars in London belonging to the archbishop of Canterbury.

It was termed All hallows the Great, to distinguish it from All hallows the Less, a church near adjoining to it on the east; which not being rebuilt after the great fire, the parishes were united.

This latter church was originally a rectory in the gift of the bishop of Winchester; and rebuilt by Sir John Poultney, who purchased the advowson, and appropriated it to his college of St. Laurence Poultney. The steeple and choir of this church stood on an arched gate, being the entry to the great house, called Cold Herbergh, above mentioned.

From that time the church became a donative or curacy, which falling to the crown at the dissolution of religious houses, Queen Elizabeth first granted it for 21 years to William Verle; and King James I sold it to Richard Blake, &c. and their heirs for ever, in free soccage.
By which means the impropriation is now in the heirs or assigns of Dr. Edward Waddington, late bishop of Chichester.

The present church of All hallows the Great was designed by Sir Christopher Wren; and was finished in 1683, but was not executed with the same accuracy with which it was planned.
It is 87 ft long, 60 ft broad, and 33 ft high to the roof: built of stone, strong and solid. The walls are plain and massy; the ornaments few and simple; and the windows though large, in order to enlighten such a considerable breadth, are not numerous. The tower is 86 ft high, plain, square, and divided into 5 stages, but terminates absolutely plain without spire, turret or pinnacles. The cornice is supported by scrolls, and over these rises a balustrade of solid construction, suitable to the rest of the building.

Highlights from John Noorthouck, 'Book 2, Ch. 20: Dowgate Ward', in A New History of London Including Westminster and Southwark (London, 1773), pp. 612-614. British History Online… [accessed 28 June 2023].

Log in to post an annotation.

If you don't have an account, then register here.


Chart showing the number of references in each month of the diary’s entries.



  • Sep