vicenzo • Link
Map of area : http://www.motco.com/map/81001/SeriesSearchPlat...
Becky Wallower • Link
The Castle referred to here is the tower originally built by Humphrey Duke of Gloucester, who enclosed Greenwich Park in the 15th Century. On a spur of high ground, it formed a rather romantic vantage point overlooking the Thames and the Park. Both Park and Duke Humphrey's residence Bellacourt reverted to royal hands after his untimely and suspicious demise. The house much enlarged over the years became Placentia (Greenwich Palace) birthplace of Henry VIII and his daughters Mary and Elizabeth. Both Henry and Elizabeth added extensively to the features in the park and used the Castle for hunting parties and as a grace and favour residence. Henry was known to have at least one mistress ensconced there. During the Civil War, much of Placentia was pulled down. Charles II began rebuilding in the 1660s with Wren as his architect - eventually resulting in the buildings dedicated as the Royal Hospital, now known as the Royal Naval College. The Castle still existed until 1675, when it was dismantled and its foundations used by Wren for another well known edifice - Flamsteed House, the first building of Greenwich Observatory.
Chart showing the number of references in each month of the diary’s entries.