Daily entries from the 17th century London diary
Braems, Sir ArnoldBridge House was built during the 17th century by Sir Arnold Braems, a Royalist who made his fortune developing Dover seafront - and lost it building Bridge House. At the time, it was one of the largest houses in East Kent, with an avenue of trees lining the path from the house to nearby St Peter's churchhttp://www.historic-kent.co.uk/vill_b.htmhis name is found in a list of high court of admiralty examinations 1536-1641 , material relating to Ireland
The house built by Sir Arnold Braems in 1638 was called by him (and is still called) Bridge Place. It was rectangular, with a central courtyard, nine bays by seven. Its size was second only to Leeds Castle. On purchasing it in 1695/6 John Taylor of Bifrons in Patrixbourne demolished three quarters of it. What remains is now Bridge Country Club.
Sir Arnold Breames, Brahams, or Brames, of Bridge Court, Kent, was son of Charles Breames, of Dover, and was knighted at Canterbury, May 27th, 1660. He married, first Joanna, daughter of Walter Henflete (or Septvans), secondly, Elizabeth, daughter of Sir Digges, Master of the Rolls, and thirdly, Margaret, daughter of Sir Thomas Palmer, of Wingham, Bart.---Wheatley, 1896.
Braemes now has a Wikipedia page:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnold_Braemes
Log in to post an annotation.
If you don't have an account, then register here.