Daily entries from the 17th century London diary
The overlays that highlight 17th century London features are approximate and derived from:
Tower Street runs from the Tower of London [Tower Hill] to junction of Fish Street Hill and Grace Church Street.
The church of All-hallows, Barking, at the end of Tower Street, presents many features of interest, and helps us best to understand what we have lost by the Great Fire. One of the finest Flemish brasses in England is still upon its floor; it is most elaborately engraved and enamelled, and is to the memory of one Andrew Evyngar and his wife (circa 1535). Another, to that of William Thynne, calls up a grateful remembrance, that to him we owe, in 1532, the first edition of the works of that 'well of English undefiled'—Geoffrey Chaucer. Other brasses and quaint old tombs cover floor and walls.Here the poetic Earl of Surrey was hurriedly buried after his execution; so was Bishop Fisher, the friend of More; and Archbishop Laud ignominiously in the churchyard, but afterwards removed to honourable sepulture in St. John's College, Oxford.
RELICS OF LONDON SURVIVING THE FIRE...Book of Days.
Streets of London: Tower StreetBy Ian Youngs, BBC News Online
"During the 17th Century Tower Street - a typical if not famous London address - was a place of drama and destruction.[...}Leading to the Tower of London, Tower Street was at the heart of London's maritime community, close to the Thames, the Navy Office, Custom House and wharves.[...]Diarist Samuel Pepys lived round the corner in Seething Lane in the 1660s.
He was a regular at the Dolphin Tavern, where he would take in a morning draught or a "very merry" dinner of oysters, lobster, beef or smoked herrings. It was a place where business mixed with pleasure.
It was also on Tower Street that in 1666, Pepys saw the Great Fire of London advance and finally be extinguished...." http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/lond...
When the profligate Earl of Rochester, under the name of " Alexander Bendo," played the part of a mountebank physician in the City, he took up his lodgings in Tower Street, next door to the Black Swan, at a goldsmith's house, where he gave out that he was sure of being seen "from 3 of the clock in the afternoon till 8 at night."Being under an unlucky accident, which obliged him to keep out of the way, he disguised himself so that his nearest friends could not have known him, and set up in Tower Street for an Italian mountebank, where he [had a stage and] practised physic some weeks not without success.—Burnet's Life, p. 37, ed. 1680.---London, Past and Present. H.B. Wheatley, 1891.
Log in to post an annotation.
If you don't have an account, then register here.
See all places in this category on a map