Map

The overlays that highlight 17th century London features are approximate and derived from:

6 Annotations

Philip Somervail   Link to this

The history of Exeter House and the later street of the same name is summarised at: http://www.coventgarden.uk.com/exeterst.html

in Aqua Scripto   Link to this

noted as French house [sept 30 '61]

TerryF   Link to this

Exeter Street runs parallel to the Strand, between Burleigh and Catherine Streets, Exeter Court running off the Strand north toward Exeter Street, toward the SE corner of this segment of the 1742 map. http://www.motco.com/map/81002/SeriesSearchPlat...

Jesse   Link to this

The original coventgarden link is 404. Here's a paragraph from its update:

The street name was taken from Exeter House which once stood on the junction with Wellington Street (the site of today's Lyceum theatre). Also known at times as Burghley House and Cecil House, it was built for Sir Thomas Palmer during the reign of Edward VI and later passed from Elizabeth I to William Cecil, Lord Burghley, and on to his son Thomas. Eighteen years on, Henrietta Maria lodged here before her marriage to Prince Charles. Fire severely damaged the House in 1627 but it was later repaired. Henrietta Maria returned here 33 years later as a widow to worship in the chapel especially set aside for her. After the great fire, the Admiralty Court, the prerogative Courts and the Court of Arches relocated here until the Doctors' Commons was rebuilt. Anthony Ashley Cooper, 2nd Earl of Shaftesbury, husband of Frances, also lived here for a time. The house was eventually demolished in the 1670s and Exeter Street, Burleigh Street (which is still here today) and Exeter Change were built on its site.

http://www.coventgarden.uk.com/featureshistory/...

Geoff   Link to this

Exeter House is depicted on this 1658 map. It is on the north side of the Strand, opposite the Savoy, and backs onto the Piatzo (Covent Garden).
http://www.oldlondonmaps.com/newcourtpages/newc...

Bill   Link to this

From 1667 till 1676, when the first Earl of Shaftesbury removed into the City, and the house was pulled down, Exeter House was the home of John Locke, who resided with Lord Ashley at this time as "family physician, tutor, and private friend," and for a while as secretary. Many of Locke's extant letters are dated from Exeter House, and it was whilst here that he was occupied with the Essay on the Human Understanding.
---London, Past and Present. H.B. Wheatley, 1891.

Log in to post an annotation.

If you don't have an account, then register here.

References

  • 1660
    • Jan
  • 1661
  • 1663
    • Sep
  • 1664
  • 1665
  • 1667