From this page, originally from Remarks on London, being an Exact Survey of the Cities of London and Westminster, Borough of Southwark… By W. Stow., London, 1722.:

Rolls Chapel in Chancery Lane, so called because it’s a Repository now of Charters, Patents, Commissions, and other Matters, made up in Rolls of Parchment, from the beginning of King Richard the Third, in 1484; those before that Time are kept in Wakefield Tower, in the Tower of London; but at first here was founded by King Henry the Third, in 1233, an House of converted Jews upon a Jew’s House, which had been formerly confiscated to the Crown. Pr. and S. are every Sunday Morning in Term Time at 10, and only Pr. at 3, and on Holydays at 10 and 3; Sac. every second Sunday of the 4 Terms, on Christmas day, Easter Sunday, and Whitsunday.

Note, Pr. signifies Prayers, Sac. Sacrament; S. Sermon; and Lect. Lecturer.

1 Annotation

Log in to post an annotation.

If you don't have an account, then register here.


Chart showing the number of references in each month of the diary’s entries.