The map location is rough, as the forest stretched for many miles.
The overlays that highlight 17th century London features are approximate and derived from Wenceslaus Hollar’s maps:
Open location in Google Maps: 51.617164, 0.050812
Cumgranissalis • Link
here be the forest [Epping]
Paul Timbrell • Link
Norman Gunby in his book 'A Potted History of Ilford' writes 'At the time of Pepys' visit the forest (Waltham) extended from the River Lea at Bow and along the main road past Forest Gate and through Ilford to Whalebone Lane, Chadwell Heath - a distance of just over 7 miles. It then went northwards as far as Harlow and Roydon - a distance of just over 13 miles - covering an area of 60 000 acres (nearly 94 square miles), ten times the size of Epping Forest today.
An 18th century etching of a "Lady"'s home in Epping Forest is at the end of these lovely pictures -- all of which make me happy to be living in my own home today:
The name "Epping Forest" was first recorded in the 17th century; prior to this it was part of the larger Waltham Forest (which gives its name to the present-day London Borough of Waltham Forest, which covers part of the modern forest).
The area that became known as Waltham and then as Epping Forest has been continuously forested since Neolithic times. ... Today's beech-birch and oak-hornbeam-dominated forest was the result of partial forest clearance in Saxon times.
The forest is thought to have been given legal status as a royal forest by Henry II in the 12th century. This status allowed commoners to use the forest to gather firewood and foodstuffs, to graze livestock and turn out pigs for mast, but only the king was allowed to hunt there. "Forest" in the historical sense of royal forest meant an area of land reserved for royal hunting, where the forest laws applied, and did not imply that it was necessarily wooded.
In Tudor times, Henry VIII and Queen Elizabeth may have hunted in the forest, although no documentary evidence survives to prove it. In 1543, Henry commissioned a building, known as Great Standing, from which to view the chase at Chingford. The building was renovated in 1589 for Queen Elizabeth and is now known as Queen Elizabeth's Hunting Lodge, and is open to the public.
There is another hunt standing, which now forms the core of the Forest HQ at the Warren, Loughton.
Following the Restoration in 1660, although the deer herd was restocked, royal hunting in the forest never recommenced. The forest was principally used as a source of shipbuilding timber for the Royal Navy, which was taken overland to Barking Creek and then floated in rafts to the Royal Dockyards at Woolwich and Deptford. This exploitation continued until about 1725, when all the suitable oak trees had been felled.
The City of London maintained the ancient tradition of an Easter Monday stag hunt in the forest, but official participation ended in 1807 when the office of Master of the City Hounds was abolished.
Further on in the article they talk about Dick Turpin, the highwayman, having a hiding place in Epping Forest, but that's 50 years after the Diary.
The city's correct name is Waltham Abbey. By the 17th century there was, of course, no longer an Abbey, although the Abbey church remains as the parish church for the city.
In the 17th century there were four churchwardens (who fulfilled some roles of local government, collected and distributing poor relief): one each for the town, Holyfield, Upshire, and Sewardstone.
Joseph Hall, curate from 1608, was later Bishop successively of Exeter and Norwich. Thomas Fuller, author of "The Worthies of England" and of the first "History of Waltham Abbey", was curate 1649–58.
In the 17th century, a gunpowder factory was opened in the town, probably because of the good river communications (which drained the former empty marshland) by the River Lea. The building is now the local museum.
For lots more local color, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waltham_Abbey
The River Lea, rising north of Luton, Bedfordshire, flows for 46 miles (74 km) east and then south to enter the River Thames near Bromley-by-Bow, in the London borough of Tower Hamlets.
In the 17th century an important aqueduct known as the New River was constructed in the valley of the Lea. Much of the valley has seen considerable industrial development, and many large reservoirs supplying water for London are located in the area.
In 1967 a regional park authority was set up to provide recreational opportunities and public access along the natural corridor of the river.
Chart showing the number of references in each month of the diary’s entries.