The Limehouse property came into the Marsh (March) family through marriage. Richard had been appointed 'Keeper of the King's Stores' at The Tower of London by Charles 1st. In September 1624 he had refused to transfer gunpowder from The Tower and was called before Parliament and instructed to give up the keys to The Tower ordnance, which he explained he was unable to do. He was then dismissed. He seems to have then joined the King's army at Oxford where he was appointed to the artillery train with the rank of Captain. At the restoration he was re-appointed to his old Tower position as well as being a Gentleman Usher Daily Waiter to Charles II. He is mentioned in the journal of George Fox, founder of the Quaker movement where he is referred to as 'esquire Marsh' and seems to have been sympathetic to Fox and the Quakers.
Chart showing the number of references in each month of the diary’s entries.