The overlays that highlight 17th century London features are approximate and derived from Wenceslaus Hollar’s maps:

Open location in Google Maps: 51.891898, 0.011746

1893 text

Puckeridge, a village in Hertfordshire six and a half miles N.N.E, of Ware.

This text comes from a footnote on a diary entry in the 1893 edition edited by Henry B. Wheatley.

4 Annotations

First Reading

Cumgranissalis  •  Link

were once separate but are now one settlement at the centre of East Herts and near the Roman crossroads of Ermine Street and Stane Street......
The fact that Puckeridge was once an important coaching stop is evident still today in the arches in the High Street which used to lead to stable yards. Diarist Samuel Pepys took advantage of its many inns, including the Falcon in 1662. He wrote: 'The way about Puckeridge very bad, and my wife, in the very last dirty place of all, got a fall, but no hurt, though some dirt.'……
once famous for its Hunt, but foxes now can roam and steal the local chickens.…
found this back to SP…
Some of the local village names be fun.
There be village of Nasty and one time had a women's institute.
There be Braughing , Hadhams, Hare street, Wadesmill etc.

Second Reading

Bill  •  Link

Puckeridge, a village in Hertfordshire six and a half miles N.N.E. of Ware.
---Wheatley, 1899.

Terry Foreman  •  Link

Puckeridge is a hamlet in East Hertfordshire, England.

The earliest known settlement was founded by the Catavellauni, Celts from north-eastern France. The Celts began to arrive around 250 BC. The Belgae arrived around 180 BC. A Roman town existed just to the north of the existing village and the village is at the cross roads of two major Roman roads, Ermine Street and Stane Street. By 200AD the Romans had built a town, at the north of the current village, called Ad Fines. It was a regional capital and was also the start point for the roads to St Albans and Baldock – all important pre-Roman Celtic centres. Ad Fines had a large temple dedicated to Minerva. It also had at least two bath houses on the banks of the River Rib. The town survived until the end of the 5th century.

The neighbouring villages of Standon and Braughing are recorded in the Domesday Book but Puckeridge is not although it was probably in existence. It survived the Black Death in the 14th century. A number of charities were established in Puckeridge in the 17th century, which gave grants of land that enabled the expansion of the village.

The village developed and thrived because it was on the coaching route between London and Cambridge; Samuel Pepys records that he stopped at the Falcon (now the Crown and Falcon).…

Log in to post an annotation.

If you don't have an account, then register here.


Chart showing the number of references in each month of the diary’s entries.




  • Oct