Bookseller, St. Paul's Churchyard
Pepys would call him "my bookseller" -- his principal bookseller for years. His shop and home were on the north side of the Churchyard.
-- L&M Companion
4 Nov 2003, 4 a.m. - David Quidnunc
Another Bookseller, John Playford
Playford sold books at the Inner Temple.
-- L&M Companion, Index volumes
4 Nov 2003, 4:22 a.m. - David Quidnunc
Booksellers Pepys mentions by name
Name/location/when Pepys's 1st mentions:
-- St. Paul's Churchyard, later Duck Lane; mentioned ONCE, 1667 (@ Duck Lane)
-- New Exchange; 1667
-- St. Paul's Churchyard; 1660
-- Temple Bar; 1668
MILES & ANN MITCHELL
-- Westminster Hall; 1660
-- Cambridge; mentioned ONCE in 1660
-- Inner Temple; 1660
-- At The Bible on Duck Lane; 1668
-- St. Paul's Churchyard, later on Fleet Street when Pepys mentions him; 1667
-- L&M Index volume
4 Nov 2003, 4:30 a.m. - David Quidnunc
St. Paul's Churchyard
21 Mar 2006, 3:27 a.m. - Pauline
Mr. [Joshua] Kirton's kinsman = William Kirton
(entry March 20, 1662/3)
From L&M Companion:
The "kinsman" is William Kirton, a freeman of the Stationers' Company by patrimony, 1665.
30 Jan 2014, 12:46 p.m. - Bill
KIRTON (JOSHUA), bookseller in London, (1) Foster Lane, next to Goldsmith's Hall, 1644; (2) White Horse in Paul's Churchyard, 1638-46; (3) Golden-Spread-Eagle, St. Paul's Churchyard, 1649 (1638-59). Took up his freedom November 7th, 1636. Originally in partnership with Thomas Warren. Shared with Humphrey Robinson, Richard Thrale and Samuel Thompson the copyrights of T. Whitaker, consisting of 109 copies. Was one of the six stationers who in 1652 published a list of Popish books under the title of A Beacon set on Fire.
---A dictionary of the Booksellers and Printers... H.R. Plomer, 1907.
21 Oct 2014, 8:38 p.m. - Bill
Joseph Kirton was a bookseller in St. Paul's Churchyard, at the sign of "The King's Arms," ruined by the Fire of London. His death, in October, 1667, is recorded in Smith's "Obituary," printed for the Camden Society. He was buried in St. Faith's.
12 Aug 2016, 1:45 p.m. - Oliver Mundy
His name was definitely Joshua, not Joseph as stated in Wheatley's notes and index. The writer of this has a book published by him in 1653 (Verstegan, 'A Restitution of Decayed Intelligence') which gives his name as 'Josuah', corrected to 'Joshua' when the book was reissued with a new title-page in 1655 (Wing V269 and V270). Notably, he continued to display the King's arms as his shop-sign throughout the Commonwealth; it is mentioned on the title-pages of both these editions.
27 Feb 2021, 11:24 p.m. - San Diego Sarah
After the Great Fire, many booksellers relocated to a new neighborhood, now known as Cecil Court:
Chart showing the number of references in each month of the diary’s entries.