This 18th century map shows the location of “King’s Bench Walk” and related buildings, which we assume is the area Pepys describes walking in.
The overlays that highlight 17th century London features are approximate and derived from Wenceslaus Hollar’s maps:
Open location in Google Maps: 51.512690, -0.109187
King's Bench, the highest Court of Common Law in England, is so called, because the King sometimes sat there in person on an high bench, and the Judges, to whom the judicature belongs in his absence, on a low bench at his feet: or because this Court determines pleas between the Crown and the subject of treasons, felonies, and other pleas, which properly belong to the King: and also in whatsoever relates to the loss of life or member of any subject, in which the King is concerned, as he is a sufferer by the loss of the life or limbs of his subjects. Here likewise are tried breaches of peace, oppression, and misgovernment; and this Court corrects the errors of all the Judges and Justices of England, in their judgments and proceedings, not only in pleas of the Crown, but in all pleas, real, personal, and mix'd; except only pleas in the Exchequer. This Court is general, and extends to all England; and where ever it is held the law supposes the Sovereign to be there in person. In this Court there commonly sit four Judges, the first of which is stiled the Lord Chief Justice of the King's Bench; and sometimes the Lord Chief Justice of England; whose salary is 4000l. a year, and the puisne Judges 1500l. a year each. Chamberlain's Present State. The Court of King's Bench in Westminster Hall is in the south east corner
---London and Its Environs Described. R. Dodsley, 1761.
Chart showing the number of references in each month of the diary’s entries.