A gate between two towers, no longer standing, but situated at the south-east corner of the central White Tower in the Tower of London. It can be seen marked by the lower-case “u” on the top map on this page.
Cold (or Cole) Harbour Gate (Tower of London)
The overlays that highlight 17th century London features are approximate and derived from Wenceslaus Hollar’s maps:
- Built-up London – London before the Fire
- City of London wall and Great Fire damage – London after the Fire
Open location in Google Maps: 51.507945, -0.076456
Terry Foreman • Link
ON THE DISCOVERIES AT THE TOWER OF LONDON IN THE SPRING OF 1899.
A portion of the site of these excavations is the foundation of the Cold Harbour Tower, which formerly stood at the south-west corner of the White Tower, and formed the entrance to an enclosure containing the domestic apartments of the Palace, which occupied the entire south-east angle of' the inner ward.1 At the southeast corner of the White Tower stood the Wardrobe Tower.2
In the twenty-third year of the reign of King Henry VIII (A.D. 1532) a survey was made of the Tower of London, in order to a. general repair of its different buildings, in which the item relating to the Cold Harbour Tower is as follows :
“The tower called Colde-Harber—The same tower the most part of it to be taken down and to be gazettyde tabled ventyde lowped copyde and crestyd wh cane stone and the vics of the same inendyd as also rough cast with lyme.”
“The wall from the tower and lodgyng of the King’s re'co’ds‘ upon the right hand going up to the hyll adioynyng vnto Colde Harbour g! in lengthe cxxx of foote the same wall to be ventyd iowped copy‘1 and crestyd with cane stone and also rough cast with ynie.”
1 Bailey’s Hist. of the Tower.
2 The Cold Harbour Tower is sometimes referred to as the Cold Harbour Gate; and in the Harleian MS. No. 1326 there is a description : “ The Nun’s Bower— the Prisons over the Cole harbour Gate."
Journal of the British Archaeological Association, 1900.
Terry Foreman • Link
Cold Harbor Gate ("u." on the Tower ca. 1597 image) leads the list of DESTROYED BUILDINGS IN THE INNER WARD. http://www.theanneboleynfiles.com/resources/anne-…
Chart showing the number of references in each month of the diary’s entries.
Log in to post an annotation.
If you don't have an account, then register here.