Shown at the top-left of this 18th century map this road ran south from the end of Golden Lane to St Giles Church, through what is today the Barbican Arts Centre.
The overlays that highlight 17th century London features are approximate and derived from Wenceslaus Hollar’s maps:
Open location in Google Maps: 51.519846, -0.094103
Red Cross Street descends near the upper left corner of this 1746 map.
Chart showing the number of references in each month of the diary’s entries.