2 Annotations

First Reading

Glyn  •  Link

The owner of the Ship tavern in Bartholomew Lane. He was a highly reputed cook: the records of the Carpenters' Company describe him as "a cooke dwelling in Bartholomew Lane, neere the Royal Exchange" whom they appointed as their official cook in 1659.

William and Mary Levett had a son baptised at St Bartholomew's in 1655. In 1660 he paid a fine in order to get out of serving as a constable. In 1672 he was appointed churchwarden of St Bartholomew's, and parish meetings were held at his hours between 1674 and 1679.

Ship court is listed on Ogilby and Morgan's map of London in 1677 and the pub continued well into the 18th century: Masonic meetings were held there in 1723 and 1724.

Source: "Taverns and Tokens of Pepys London" (1976) by George Berry, pages 31-32.

Log in to post an annotation.

If you don't have an account, then register here.


Chart showing the number of references in each month of the diary’s entries.