The overlays that highlight 17th century London features are approximate and derived from:

3 Annotations

San Diego Sarah  •  Link -- some (ir)relevant highlights:

Buckden is a village 3.7 miles (6.0 km) north of St. Neots and 4 miles (6.4 km) south-west of Huntingdon. Buckden is in Huntingdonshire, a district of Cambridgeshire as well as a historic county of England. The small hamlets of Stirtloe and Hardwick are also in the parish of Buckden. The River Great Ouse forms the eastern boundary of the parish in the Great Ouse river valley in the neighbouring parish of The Offords.

The hamlet of Stirtloe is situated to the south of Buckden, and is now separated from the village itself by only 220 yards (200 m) of fields.

... the new southern bypass for Huntingdon would require the construction of a section of road in an east-west direction between the village of Buckden and Brampton.

Buckden is the location of Buckden Towers (or Buckden Palace), one of the many former residences of the Bishop of Lincoln. In the Middle Ages the diocese of Lincoln extended almost to London, so Buckden lay near the middle of the diocese. A house was built by the mid-12th century, where the bishop of Lincoln held court, but it burnt down in 1291 and rebuilt. Further re-building and extending of the palace took place in the 15th century, including the addition of the red brick tower which is of the same design as Tattershall Castle, Lincolnshire, although the tower at Buckden has only 4 storeys. Buckden Palace accommodated Catherine of Aragon for a short time before she moved to Kimbolton Castle. The palace was neglected in the first half of the 17th century. A survey in 1647 listed the building and features, including a Great Chamber, chapel, brick tower, and gatehouse; all enclosed by a moat. The grounds contained at least 4 fishponds with about 200 deer in the deer park.

Buckden's location on the Great North Road meant that it was a coach stop during the 18th century. There were 4 coaching inns in the village. The Lion dates back to the 15th century. The George Inn which had its own courtyard and forge. The Vine dated back to the first half of the 17th century. The Spread Eagle was originally built in the 17th century; it had stabling and paddocks.

On Friday 18 June 1641, "hundreds of women and boys, armed with Daggers and Javelins, in a very tumultuous and riotous Manner" entered part of the land at Buckden that belonged to the Bishop of Lincoln and they "turned in a great herd of cattle".

In 1661 a charity school was founded in Buckden for the education of boys in the parish.

The Anglican church, dedicated to St. Mary the Virgin, consists of a chancel (with organ chamber and vestry), nave, west tower, north aisle, south aisle and porch. A church was listed in the Domesday book, but nothing from that remains. The church contains elements from the 13th century but it was greatly enlarged in the 15th century. The large buttresses to the north were added in the 17th century.

Log in to post an annotation.

If you don't have an account, then register here.


Chart showing the number of references in each month of the diary’s entries.