“The Sovereign of the Seas” was built at Woolwich in 1637 of timber which had been stripped of its bark while growing in the spring, and not felled till the second autumn afterwards; and it is observed by Dr. Plot (“Phil. Trans.” for 1691), in his discourse on the most seasonable time for felling timber, written by the advice of Pepys, that after forty-seven years, “all the ancient timber then remaining in her, it was no easy matter to drive a nail into it” (“Quarterly Review,” vol. viii., p. 35). — B.
This text comes from a footnote on a diary entry in the 1893 edition edited by Henry B. Wheatley.