Pedro • Link
Lime Street.-South out of Leadenhall Street, at No. 159 to Fenchurch Street (P.O. Directory). In Aldgate, Lime Street and Langbourn Wards.
Earliest mention : "Limstrate," 12th century (Anc. Deeds, A. 5853). "Lymstrate," 32 H. III. (ib. A. 1470).
According to Stow the name is derived from the making or selling of lime there, and we certainly read in early times of a messuage there belonging to Gilbert, son of Fulk, and lands of Ailnoth the limeburner (calcerii) (Anc. Deeds, A. 11559, n.d.).