Daily entries from the 17th century London diary
The overlays that highlight 17th century London features are approximate and derived from:
Home to the Chancellor who is Edward Hyde. Edward Hyde was appointed Chancellor to Charles II in 1658 while the exiled court was still in BrugesClarendon stayed, at first, at Worcester House in The Strand.http://www.twickenham-museum.org.uk/detail.asp?...
from a version of the Diaryhttp://www.simonova.net/library/1150-2.html[The Earls of Worcester had a large house between Durham Place and the Savoy, which Lord Clarendon rented at 5l. per annum, while his own was building.] to the Chancellor,
The Earls of Worcester had a large house in the Strand on the water-side, on what is now Beaufort Buildings, which Lord Clarendon rented while his own was building.---Diary and correspondence of Samuel Pepys, the diary deciphered by J. Smith. 1854.
Worcester House, in the Strand, stood on the site of the present Beaufort Buildings. An earlier Worcester House was in St. James, Garlickhithe, overhanging the river. The Strand house originally belonged to the see of Carlisle, but, at the Reformation, was presented by the Crown to the noble founder of the Bedford family. Under the Earls of Bedford it was known as Bedford or Russell House, a name which it bore till the family moved over the way and built a second Bedford House, on the site of the present Southampton Street, when the inn of the see of Carlisle took the name of its new occupant, Edward, second Marquis of Worcester, the Earl of Glamorgan of the Civil Wars, and the author of the Century of Inventions. The Marquis of Worcester died in 1667, and his son Henry was created, in 1682, Duke of Beaufort; hence Beaufort Buildings. During the Commonwealth, Worcester House in the Strand was used for committees of all kinds, and furnished by Parliament for the Scotch commissioners. Subsequently, according to Whitelocke, it was sold by Parliament to the Earl of Salisbury, "at the rate of Bishop's Lands." But on May 2, 1657, there was brought into Parliament a "Bill for settling of Worcester House in the Strand upon Margaret Countess of Worcester, during the life of Edward Earl of Worcester"; and on April 14, 1659, it was resolved that "Margaret Countess of Worcester, shall have the actual possession of Worcester House delivered up to her on March 25 next; and in the mean time the rent of £300 be paid her for the said house for this year; and that the sum of £400 be paid in recompense of all demands for detaining of Worcester House from her since her title thereunto by the late Acts of Parliament." Twelve days after the entrance of Charles II. into London on his Restoration, the Marquis of Worcester wrote and offered his house (free of rent) to the great Lord Clarendon.The Chancellor leased the house of the marquis, as he tells us in his Life, at a yearly rent of £500; and here, in Worcester House, on September 3, 1660, between eleven and two at night, Anne Hyde, the Chancellor's daughter, was married to the Duke of York, according to the rites of the English Church.---Wheatley, 1899.
Log in to post an annotation.
If you don't have an account, then register here.
See all places in this category on a map