Geoff • Link
Berkshire House is depicted here.
Berkshire House, St. James's, the town-house of the Howards, Earls of Berkshire, built circ. 1630, and purchased and presented by Charles II. to Barbara Villiers, Countess of Castlemaine, and Duchess of Cleveland. In 1664-1665 it was fitted up by the Surveyor of the Works for the reception of the French Ambassador. Lord Clarendon lived in it for a short time after the Great Fire; Lord Craven in 1667; the Earl of Castlemaine in 1668; and the Countess of Castlemaine (alone) in 1669.
---London, Past and Present. H.B. Wheatley, 1891.
Chart showing the number of references in each month of the diary’s entries.