The overlays that highlight 17th century London features are approximate and derived from Wenceslaus Hollar’s maps:

Open location in Google Maps: 52.204980, 0.120579

1893 text

The old Falcon Inn is on the south side of Petty Cury. It is now divided into three houses, one of which is the present Falcon Inn, the other two being houses with shops. The Falcon yard is but little changed. From the size of the whole building it must have been the principal inn of the town. The room said to have been used by Queen Elizabeth for receptions retains its original form.-M. B.

This text comes from a footnote on a diary entry in the 1893 edition edited by Henry B. Wheatley.

2 Annotations

First Reading

Keir Finlow-Bates  •  Link

The Falcon Inn was one of several pubs or coaching stations that were to be found in the area that is now the Lion Yard shopping centre. The largest of the pubs was the Red Lion, after which the precinct is now named. The Falcon may have been the place where the former poet laureate Ted Hughes and Sylvia Plath first met.

M J Burchall  •  Link

The Falcoln Inn was frequently used for adjourned Quarter Sessions in the eighteenth century particularly when only little and usually unimportant business was required to be undertaken, the justices finding it probably more convenient and less tiring to reach that trudging up the road to the Castle where the Sessions were usually held each quarter.

Log in to post an annotation.

If you don't have an account, then register here.


Chart showing the number of references in each month of the diary’s entries.