Map

The overlays that highlight 17th century London features are approximate and derived from Wenceslaus Hollar’s maps:

Open location in Google Maps: 51.512822, -0.120882

Summary

This page suggests this tavern was at the corner of Russell Street and Brydges Street, which is now Catherine Street.

22 Sep 2014, 8:23 p.m. - Bill

The Rose Tavern stood in Russell Street, Covent Garden adjoining Drury Lane Theatre. Part of it was taken down in 1776, when Adam, the architect, built a new front to the former theatre for Garrick, then about to part with his patent. In Charles II's time it was kept by a person of the name of Long (buried at St Paul's, Covent Garden, August 5, 1661) and afterwards by his widow. Tavern tokens of the house still exist. ---London, Past and Present. H.B. Wheatley, 1891.

References

Chart showing the number of references in each month of the diary’s entries.

1667

1668