4 Annotations

Michael Robinson   Link to this

distributor of Ogilby's illustrations to the Bible

According to a broadside ( Wing C3187B) Cade was one of the London distributers for the edition of the Bible printed by John Field in Cambridge and illustrated with copper engravings by Ogilby

"This Bible is to be had (either with the common prayer and sculptures, or without, in quires, or bound) at Mr. John Cade's Stationer, at the Globe in Cornhill; at Mr. Samuel Mearn's (His Majestie's bookbinder) in Little Britain; at Mr. Will. Notts book-binder betwixt the two north dores of St. Pauls; and at Mr. Jacob Blome's in Knight-rider Street."

Michael Robinson   Link to this

For a long descriptive note on Ogilby's project & reproduction of one plate see:-

Bibles Catalogue Number 1
"The Holy Bible ...Illustrated wth Chorographical Sculps. by J. Ogilby
2 vols, Cambridge, 1660

http://www.mhs.ox.ac.uk/gatt/bible/catalog.asp?...

Michael Robinson   Link to this

For a long descriptive note on Ogilby's project & reproduction of one plate see:-

Bibles Catalogue Number 1
"The Holy Bible ...Illustrated wth Chorographical Sculps. by J. Ogilby
2 vols, Cambridge, 1660

http://www.mhs.ox.ac.uk/gatt/bible/catalog.asp?...

Michael Robinson   Link to this

Per L&M Companion:

'My stationer.' Pepys bought prints and maps from him, and possibly - after he moved into the city - the notebooks in which the diary was written. Cade supplied the Navy Office with stationary - there are several of his bills, recorded in the Navy Treasurer's accounts, for paper, pens, ink, wafers and 'books.' He was a Presbyterian and conducted a prosperous business.

His shop (the Globe) and (taxed on seven hearths) were, before the fire, immediately to the west of the Royal Exchange, where he also owned the lease of four houses, one of them with stables. There was also a warehouse there. One of the houses was a tavern -- the three Golden Lions. The buildings were destroyed in the Fire, when his landlords (the Mercer's Company) provided him with temporary accommodation in Gresham College. In 1671 his business was moved to a shop on the s. side of the rebuilt Royal Exchange, his L70 per year being one of the highest rents there.

Log in to post an annotation.

If you don't have an account, then register here.

References

  • 1662
  • 1663
  • 1664
    • Feb
  • 1665
    • Jun
  • 1666
  • 1667
  • 1668