Daily entries from the 17th century London diary
The James Bollen who met with Pepys, Henry Moore and the Privy Seal (Sir John Robartes) was surely the same James Bollen/Bullen who became Secretary of the Colony of New Jersey under Sir George Carteret in 1665, after having accompanied Sir Richard Nicolls/Nicholls and other commissioners to New England and then New Amsterdam (and taking it from Stuyvesant, to become New York) in 1664. Also, this James Bollen/Bullen might be the author of a manuscrpt entitled Proposals "for the Incouragement of Merchants inhabiting and residing in New England and other his Majesties plantations in those parts of America and for the benifit and aduantage of his Majesties Coustomes:" See item 64 below.
Eg. 2,395. MISCELLANEOUS official papers relating to the English settlements in America and the West Indies, chiefly documents submitted to, or, issuing from, the Council of Trade and Plantations, with a few original letters; 1627-1699. A large part of the collection appears to have been formed by Thomas Povey, Secretary to the Council. The contents are:-
61. "Instructions to Colonel Richard Nicolls, Sir Robert Carr, George Cartwright, and Samuell Mavericke, Commisioners to visit our Colony of the Massachusetts in our Plantacion in New England;" 23, Apr. 1664. Signed by Charles II., and countersigned by Henry Bennet [Secretary of State, afterwards Earl of Arlington]. With seal. f. 387.
62. Instructions to the same as Commissioners "for the visitacion of our Colony of Connecticott;" 23 Apr. 1664. Signed as above; with seal. f. 393.
63. Papers on the state and government of New England; [circa 1660- 1664], 1675, ff. 396, 397, 414, 522.
64. Proposals "for the Incouragement of Merchants inhabiting and residing in New England and other his Majesties plantations in those parts of America and for the benifit and aduantage of his Majesties Coustomes: " [circa 1664]. Signed by James Bollen. f. 425.
65. George Cartwright, one of the Commissioners of New England, to [Henry Bennet] Lord Arlington, Secretary of State, with copies of the Reports of the Commission upon the state of the several colonies; 1665, ff. 426-441.
66. Letters of Charles II., recalling the Commissioners of New England, and commanding the Governor and Council of Massachusetts to send representatives to England; 10 Apr. 1666. Certified copy. f. 442.
James Bollen. Groom of the Privy Chamber. (L&M Index)
Log in to post an annotation.
If you don't have an account, then register here.