Daily entries from the 17th century London diary
The overlays that highlight 17th century London features are approximate and derived from:
"A town full of interesting buildings and narrow streets, one a centre of the cloth trade and a staging post on the London to Portsmouth road. The originalgrammar school is now part of the Red Lion. In 1881 the town became the first in the world to have a public electricity supply.
"Kings Arms & Royal Hotel. High Street. Old coaching inn which was once visited by Peter the Great with 20 of his men. Breakfast included half a lamb and half a sheep, 22 fowl and a quart each of mulled wine. Lunch included three stone of ribs of beef (48 pounds, 22 kg) along with sundry joints. These days the spacious rambling wood-panelled interior features various coatsof arms. The "Royal" tote was conferred by Henry VIII.
"Red Lion. Mill Lane. Large building formed from several old properties including the mayor's residence and courthouse.
"Richmond Arms. High Street. Dates from the 14th century.
"Rose & Crown. Cottage-like pub with parts dating from the 16th century.
"Star Inn. 400-year-old pub of character."
Source: "The Surrey Pub Guide".
It has been supposed that Godliman Street in London obtained its name from the sale of leather prepared at Godalming.---Wheatley, 1899.
Log in to post an annotation.
If you don't have an account, then register here.
See all places in this category on a map