Sir Henry Johnson, kt 1680 (1623-83). Shipbuilder. After an apprenticeship to his cousin Phineas Pett he moved c. 1652 from Deptford to Blackwall, and there in 1656 purchased the E. India Company's dockyard, where he built E. Indiamen and men-of-war. (He built five 3rd-rates 1660-1688.) According to Pepys's *Naval Minutes* he was 'never famous for building the best or biggest ships'. He sat in the First Exclusionary Parliament (1679) for his native town, Aldeburgh. Pepys composed the letter from the King and Duke of York recommending him to the electors.