This is the Mall in St. James’s Park, which was made by Charles II., the former Mall (Pall Mall) having been built upon during the Commonwealth. Charles II. also formed the canal by throwing the several small ponds into one.
This text comes from a footnote on a diary entry in the 1893 edition edited by Henry B. Wheatley.
Brian G McMullen • Link
The Rocque map links are:
The links go west to east starting from the palace. The map has a good level of detail on the canal area.
Pedro • Link
From Davidsons biography of Queen Catherine...
"the Mall with a hundred and fifty elm trees that shaded it on both sides, and the handsome houses that overlooked it."
Chart showing the number of references in each month of the diary’s entries.